Caring Dads is a trademarked intervention program run exclusively by accredited Facilitators. If you'd like to join the leading, international network of clinicians working at the nexus of domestic violence and fatherhood, read on!
Caring Dads Facilitator training is appropriate for any professional interested in working with fathers (including biological, step, or common-law fathers) who have who have physically abused, emotionally abused or neglected their children, or exposed their children to domestic violence, or who are deemed to be at high-risk for these behaviors.
Our training attendees commonly include batterer intervention program group leaders, child protection workers, counselors working within child and family mental health services, victim advocates, probation officers and their supervisors and managers. Other professionals that are sometimes involved include psychologists, violence prevention educators, substance abuse counselors, healthcare workers, police officers, native leaders, clergy and military personnel.
INTENSIVE IN-PERSON TRAINING
This component is delivered over 2 days and introduces participants to the principles and values that guide the Caring Dads program. We then move into interactive training on the program material. Role plays are used to demonstrate key exercises and participants have the chance to acquire and practice skills in leading group exercise.
Topics covered include, among others:
○ Caring Dads program goals, principles and values
○ The need for intervention with fathers
○ Child-centred fathering
○ Referral, intake and collaborative case management
○ Mother contact
○ Case reviews
○ Supporting community collaboration
This component is delivered online via our distributed learning platform, the Pro-Portal. Each Clinical Consultation session includes a live webinar presentation, a set of self-reflection guides, a selection of best practice videos and an evaluation. This series is designed to offer clinical oversight and support to new Facilitators as they deliver their first Caring Dads groups, and may be completed within a minimum of 4 months, and a maximum of 1 year following the In-Person Training Course.
Training Investment: $1,000 CAD pp
Becoming an accredited facilitator involves both tuition and licensing:
TUITION: $900 CAD
Tuition fees support the Intensive In-Person Training and include a copy of the Caring Dads Manual, lunch and refreshments on both days of training. Any travel or accommodation expenses, where required, are not included. Tuition is a one-time fee.
LICENSE FEE: $100 CAD
Annual License fees support access to the Pro-Portal for 1 year. The Pro-Portal is where facilitators and trainers:
○ Schedule Clinical Consultations and access the associated resources.
○ Participate in our Reporting system supported by the University of Toronto. Accredited professionals receive detailed reports for every group or training they run.
○ Access a host of constantly updates resources, including handouts, slides, videos, intake forms, recruitment and promotional materials.
○ Consult, connect and share experiences with other Caring Dads professionals in the forum.